Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 4 10:39:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:16:16PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> If we decide the alternative desktops are a valuable part of Fedora -
> which seems to be a popular opinion - how do we fit them into a
> Product-based conception of Fedora?
>
> We can have a KDE Product, and an Xfce Product, and an LXDE Product,
> but...at that point haven't we just re-invented spins? It doesn't seem
> to quite work with the Product conception.

I would like to see Products defined by the problem space that they are
aimed at rather than the technology they're based on. That is, a "Fedora
Scientific Desktop" is a lot more compelling to me than "Fedora KDE" -- at
least as a product. But I don't think there's anything wrong with Fedora KDE
as either a spin or something else.

For that matter, there could be a "Fedora GNOME" spin distinct from the
Fedora Workstation product, if there were people really keen to work on it,
perhap as a showcase of upstream technology without worrying about the
concerns of the Fedora Workstation WG's particular area of focus. (With
"people keen to work on it" as the really key phrase.)