Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 4 11:15:13 UTC 2014

Am 04.02.2014 11:57, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 02/04/2014 10:39 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:16:16PM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> If we decide the alternative desktops are a valuable part of Fedora -
>>> which seems to be a popular opinion - how do we fit them into a
>>> Product-based conception of Fedora?
>>>
>>> We can have a KDE Product, and an Xfce Product, and an LXDE Product,
>>> but...at that point haven't we just re-invented spins? It doesn't seem
>>> to quite work with the Product conception.
>> I would like to see Products defined by the problem space that they are
>> aimed at rather than the technology they're based on. That is, a "Fedora
>> Scientific Desktop" is a lot more compelling to me than "Fedora KDE" -- at
>> least as a product. But I don't think there's anything wrong with Fedora KDE
>> as either a spin or something else.
>>
>> For that matter, there could be a "Fedora GNOME" spin distinct from the
>> Fedora Workstation product, if there were people really keen to work on it,
>> perhap as a showcase of upstream technology without worrying about the
>> concerns of the Fedora Workstation WG's particular area of focus. (With
>> "people keen to work on it" as the really key phrase.)
>
> But you cannot overlap products as in you cannot have a "Gnome workstation and "KDE workstation" etc you cannot
> have an "Server" product outside what is already defined in the ServerWG nor a "Cloud" product outside what is
> already defined there.
>
> Basically what's happening here is that "default" is being applied to now three spaces which filled with Red Hat
> products and elevated above community contribution just like Gnome was put above all community contributions as an
> "Default".
>
> Do people truly really want us to move forward with this discrimination between contributions to the project?

honestly going back to only a install DVD with a sane user-UI and dedicate all
the time wasted for the spin/products/discrimination discussions for documentations,
screenshots and howtos would have more benefit for Fedora

there is nothing you can't setup with the "one fits all" DVD or even with
a slim network install if you only knew what to install and how to configure