Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 4 13:17:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 12:56:04PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Yes but community products wont be considered "primary" products

No. The initial plan calls for three primary *community* products. And we'll
see where it goes from there.

> which means if things continues in the same manner as "default" does
> be ignored by QA/Releng/Marketing/Design since the focus will *only*
> be on "primary" products.

"Focus", yes. "Only", no. All of those groups help with existing spins to
some degree now, and I don't see any particular change there.

As I understand what you've said in earlier messages, I think you're
strongly in the camp that thinks Fedora is best as a big bag of building
blocks which we hand to users. Other people think that it would be best if
we glued the blocks together into predesigned shapes. I think we can do the
middle route, where we offer some pre-built structures but also keep the
blocks available. Or to switch metaphors to the way Colin Walters put it in
a message I read a few minutes ago , we *can* walk and chew gum at the same
time.