Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Feb 4 16:27:43 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 06:15 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> honestly going back to only a install DVD with a sane user-UI and
> dedicate all the time wasted for the spin/products/discrimination
> discussions for documentations, screenshots and howtos would have more
> benefit for Fedora there is nothing you can't setup with the "one fits
> all" DVD or even with a slim network install if you only knew what to
> install and how to configure

Right! since spins are just a fancy way to install groups, I would like
the main install to offer them in a distinct 'I want to customize'
installation step of the One True Fedora. That assumes that one can
actually mix and match groups, even if they affect the fundamental
layers such as the desktop environment. I haven't tried a combined
Gnome/KDE installation recently, but I remember that it just offered an
option to start a login session in either desktop environment.

An example of rampant customization is SUSE studio
(http://susestudio.com/browse), and I am not at all impressed by it.  I
am sure that there are some gems there but the pile of options is just
overwhelming, and I think a better approach would be to have a solid
base system with multiple customization recipes.

This would require careful definition of QA release requirements, to
avoid combinatorial explosion in testing---but the current approach of
testing the two basic desktop environments is fine and would still work.