New UEFI guide on the wiki

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Tue Feb 4 17:15:26 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> …and configure the UEFI boot options, which you can't do because you're
> not running under UEFI and so have no access to UEFI runtime services.

That's probably the biggest flaw in the whole UEFI setup - you can't
access it unless you boot using it, and you can't boot from it unless
you access it to configure it.  It makes switching to UEFI (or the
old-time common practice of installing to a drive in one machine and
then moving it to another) difficult (at best).

I have a friend that worked for a BIOS vendor and now for a CPU vendor
that I think helped write some of the UEFI spec - I need to bug him on
that one. :)
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>