New UEFI guide on the wiki

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 19:26:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 11:15 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> > …and configure the UEFI boot options, which you can't do because you're
> > not running under UEFI and so have no access to UEFI runtime services.
>
> That's probably the biggest flaw in the whole UEFI setup - you can't
> access it unless you boot using it, and you can't boot from it unless
> you access it to configure it.  It makes switching to UEFI (or the
> old-time common practice of installing to a drive in one machine and
> then moving it to another) difficult (at best).

I haven't tried this, but for the moving-a-drive thing, 'all' you should
need to do is boot a UEFI-capable live image and copy the efibootmgr
entry from the previous machine. The actual path to the bootloader isn't
going to change, because it's using a UUID.

If you want a drive to be transportable like this you could also move
the bootloader stuff around so it's bootable via the fallback path
(/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi , basically). See my blog post for more stuff on
the fallback path, the wiki article concentrates on 'typical' usage, not
complex scenarios.
https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/25/uefi-boot-how-does-that-actually-work-then/
--
Adam Williamson