Fedora.NEXT Products and the fate of Spins

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 4 21:50:05 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 11:27 -0500, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 02/04/2014 06:15 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> > honestly going back to only a install DVD with a sane user-UI and
> > dedicate all the time wasted for the spin/products/discrimination
> > discussions for documentations, screenshots and howtos would have
> > more benefit for Fedora there is nothing you can't setup with the
> > "one fits all" DVD or even with a slim network install if you only
> > knew what to install and how to configure
>
> Right! since spins are just a fancy way to install groups, I would
> like the main install to offer them in a distinct 'I want to
> customize' installation step of the One True Fedora. That assumes that
> one can actually mix and match groups, even if they affect the
> fundamental layers such as the desktop environment. I haven't tried a
> combined Gnome/KDE installation recently, but I remember that it just
> offered an option to start a login session in either desktop
> environment.

You can in fact do this at present, though it isn't heavily advertised
and I suspect was quietly snuck in by someone on the 'it's easier to
apologize than ask permission' principle ;)

If you choose the 'Basic Desktop' group on the left-hand side of
Software Selection, you'll see the 'subsidiary' group set on the
right-hand side includes all the major desktops, and you can pick as
many of them as you like. I think you don't get quite the same set of
package groups for each environment as you would if you picked its
dedicated environment group on the left hand side, but you should get
something that works at least.

This isn't particularly "supported", by which I mean: we don't promote
or document it, QA doesn't do planned testing of it, and we wouldn't
block a release on it being broken. But AFAIK it usually works OK.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey