New UEFI guide on the wiki

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 4 23:18:27 UTC 2014

On Feb 4, 2014, at 2:45 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

>> If the layout you created filled the
>> whole disk, what do we shrink to fit the ESP in?
>
> It's easier if the ESP size is withheld from Available Space for every selected disk, and every selected disk gets an ESP.

And put the ESP at the end of the disk as the last partition. Then they're on the slowest part of spinning disks. And they can be easily removed and space absorbed by the preceding file system if desired.

And then we can definitely justify making them bigger. 550MB, or even 1GB. It's neutral to plus for performance for either HDDs or SSDs (faux short stroked in the former, and overprovisioned for the latter). Does anyone know why the convention is to create the ESP as the first partition?

Chris Murphy