New UEFI guide on the wiki

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Feb 5 09:31:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 02:45:29PM -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > You're making a fatal mistake: assuming some kind of sense on the part
> > of firmware authors. ;)
>
> Not really -- I figure that either the firmware is only parsing the
> protective MBR (in which case the existence of an ESP won't even be
> detectable) or that the firmware actually supports UEFI, in which case
> I'd be fairly impressed if it matters.

You're missing the not uncommon case of "UEFI firmware with CSM forcibly
enabled and no UEFI boot option" which was much of the market between
2009 and 2011. These implementations will frequently understand GPT well
enough to decide that a disk isn't BIOS bootable, but won't let you
perform a UEFI boot instead.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org