New UEFI guide on the wiki

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 17:12:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 10:44 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 02/04/2014 05:09 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > It's a (hopefully) not too long and not too technical help for
> > installing Fedora on UEFI systems. Should cover the 'greatest hits' that
> > show up in bug reports, forums and IRC the most.
>
> What about installations on systems which only offer 32-bit UEFI?  Is
> this supported at all, or just not by the x86_64 installer?

It's not officially supported.

I have such a system sitting right here (one of those annoying Bay Trail
tablets) and it's fairly trivial to generate an image that boots on it,
and even do an installation to it (I helped one of the guys at Intel do
that, and it worked).

If we ever get the hardware support for the first-gen Bay Trail devices
in a usable state I'll probably release an unofficial F20-based image
that's 32-bit UEFI capable, but we're unlikely to support 32-bit UEFI
officially: the next generation of Bay Trail-based devices will use
64-bit firmwares, it's only the first gen and the first gen of x86
Apples (which are not pretty much obsolete) that used 32-bit UEFI
firmwares in the wild.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey