New UEFI guide on the wiki

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Wed Feb 5 17:46:25 UTC 2014

On 02/04/2014 06:18 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> And then we can definitely justify making them bigger. 550MB, or even
> 1GB. It's neutral to plus for performance for either HDDs or SSDs
> (faux short stroked in the former, and overprovisioned for the
> latter). Does anyone know why the convention is to create the ESP as
> the first partition?
At times in the past there was a race between BIOS support for large
disks and hard disk size, and BIOS boot code could not reach the far
sectors of the disk. This even leaked into Linux sometimes, IIRC: LILO
would use BIOS calls to load the kernel, and it would work on the
original install because kernel was dropped on disk early on and end up
in the low sectors, but would fail on kernel upgrade when the kernel
blocks would end up in the filesystem areas beyond the BIOS reach.