Gsoc idea feedback and suggestions.

Vidhun Vinod xvidun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:38:23 UTC 2014

Hey,
This is Vidun. I would like to get involved in the Google Summer Of Code
program with Fedora. I have an idea in mind which I would like to suggest
and probably work on. The idea description as of now is too vague but I
hope it drives my point. I'm looking for suggestions and feedback from the
community so that I know it this kind of project fits into the scope of
Fedora GSOC.

The idea initially came up as a difficulty I faced when handling RTC(real
time communication) for web project to handle and push notifications,
alerts, messages etc. As from a lazy view point this can be easily
accomplished with polling but that does not make it real time and also RTC
with polling is at the expense of the client runner.

There are several third party business's like Pusher that solve this
problem by using their server for RTC but developers face the problem of
privacy when it comes to sensitive data and they set a cap for the number
of messages that can be pushed for a certain paid plan. As it can be
clearly seen that using this model is both expensive and error prone as it
is not in the control of the developers, so if the main server is down it
would result in unexpected behaviors in applications.

Some of the problems that developers face when implementing their own RTC
message pushing.
1. Most of the hosting companies do not support web-sockets. This is
troublesome for established companies to migrate host to support RTC.
2. Privacy issues.
3. Additional work load for developers. Developing web-socket apps is not
easy.

Successful implementation would solve the following problems.
1. Security for messages.
2. Developers can bootstrap this project and concentrate on the core
application.
3. Ability to alter working to suit the particular Application model.

I'm waiting for a green flag so that I can work on the detailed draft for
the application during my week end.

Regards,
Vidun k.