Non-%doc files in %{_defaultdocdir}?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 09:26:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 02:16:43 -0600, John Morris wrote:

> My goal for the forthcoming LinuxCNC release is readiness for inclusion
> in both Fedora and Debian.
>
> Right now, a "sample-configs" directory is installed into
> ${prefix}/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples.
>
> This is a typical pattern, at first glance, but it turns out that the
> GUIs actually present these as base configurations to users, and do bad
> things when they are not present.
>
> The Fedora Packaging Guidelines are clear that these files must not be
> marked as %doc [1].  However, neither source I found for documentation
> packaging [1,2] said clearly whether files not marked as %doc are
> allowed in %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}-%{version}

Files below /usr/share/doc are always marked as %doc (rpm -E %__docdir_path).

If the packaged software strictly depends on files at run-time (and e.g.
crashes if they are not found), they must not be packaged as %doc files.

> (and neither mentions
> that fc20 doc dirs seem to be unversioned).

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/UnversionedDocdirs

The packaging guidelines in the Wiki are not editable by everyone.
Somebody from the FPC may need to add a pointer.