Non-%doc files in %{_defaultdocdir}?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Sun Feb 9 10:15:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 10:40 AM, John Morris <john at zultron.com> wrote:

> On 02/09/2014 02:32 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM, John Morris <john at zultron.com
> > <mailto:john at zultron.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Right now, a "sample-configs" directory is installed into
> >     ${prefix}/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples.
> >
> >     This is a typical pattern, at first glance, but it turns out that the
> >     GUIs actually present these as base configurations to users, and do
> bad
> >     things when they are not present.
> >
> >     The Fedora Packaging Guidelines are clear that these files must not
> be
> >     marked as %doc [1].  However, neither source I found for
> documentation
> >     packaging [1,2] said clearly whether files not marked as %doc are
> >     allowed in %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}-%{version} (and neither mentions
> >     that fc20 doc dirs seem to be unversioned).
> >

> > I think the ultimate arbiter is whether (rpm -Uvh --excludedocs
> > $that_package) will install the files or not.  --excludedocs is what the
> > users are supposed to be using to install without documentation, not (rm
> > -rf /usr/share/doc $and_a_dozen_of_other_paths).
>
> I'm having trouble with this.  To rephrase your reply, as I understand it:
>
>   The arbiter of whether Fedora Packaging Guidelines allows non-%doc
>   files to be installed in /usr/share/doc and other locations [like
>   what?] is whether or not '--excludedocs' will install the files.

Yes: the intent of the guideline is to "make --excludedocs work".

> I imagine the '--excludedocs' argument does not affect files *not*
> marked as %doc, even if installed in /usr/share/doc.  Could you mean
> that, non-%doc files would be installed there despite '--excludedocs' is
> a violation of Guidelines?
>
> Restating the question [omitted in the reply]:  By Fedora Packaging
> Guidelines, are runtime-dependent files (*not* marked as %doc, of
> course!) allowed in %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}-%{version}?

"The guidelines are unclear, but --excludedocs is how you determine what
they meant to say".

Michael has said that anything in /usr/share/doc is implicitly marked as
%doc , so that settles that: The files you are asking about can't exist.
     Mirek