Non-%doc files in %{_defaultdocdir}?

John Morris john at zultron.com
Mon Feb 10 00:32:00 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 05:20 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> John Morris wrote:
>
>> My goal for the forthcoming LinuxCNC release is readiness for inclusion
>> in both Fedora and Debian.
>>
>> Right now, a "sample-configs" directory is installed into
>> ${prefix}/share/doc/linuxcnc/examples.
>>
>> This is a typical pattern, at first glance, but it turns out that the
>> GUIs actually present these as base configurations to users, and do bad
>> things when they are not present.
>>
>> The Fedora Packaging Guidelines are clear that these files must not be
>> marked as %doc [1].
>
> I don't interpret it that way at all.  These are *example* configs, marking
> them as documentation is perfectly ok.  That is, unless these are actually
> expected to exist at runtime?  (If so, I'd argue that's a bug in the
> software).

Yes, they call them 'sample-configs', but when the user starts the GUI
the first time, a menu of these sample configs is presented for the user
to choose from.  If the files are missing, the GUI doesn't find them and
prints an error and maybe exits, I forget.

I'm arguing they shouldn't be considered documentation at all, since
they're used as base configurations.  (That's why I picked
${sysconfdir}/linuxcnc/examples instead of ${datadir}/linuxcnc/examples,
as others suggested would make more sense.)

	John