What is bundling?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:31:26 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 11:54:47AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> What is bundling in the sense of
> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries>?
>
> In my opinion, the page deals with source package contents.
>
> But there are other things a package can do "bundle" things in the
> binary packages, by copying code and data from installed packages in
> the build root.  These have comparable negative effects to bundling
> at the source package level.  Examples are static linking (already
> covered elsewhere), Java "static" linking (jarjar, Maven bundling,
> perhaps others), things like minify/lstrip/fatpack, copying programs
> and .so files out of the build root, etc.
>
> Are these post-SRPM copying mechanism in scope for the "no bundled
> libraries" page, or should they be covered in other places?

These strategies usually come to the FPC in the context of bundled libraries
but they're actually static linking examples.  In general, the FPC considers
bundled libraries to be very problematic, static linking (and their analogs,
like packaging a library's source and then having a dependent package
compile against that) to be somewhat problematic, and shared libraries to be
preferred.

When there is "no reason" (the FPC is often called upon to evaluate whether
a valid reason exists) not to take the preferred strategy, packages need to
be modified to take that route.  If the FPC finds a valid reason for that
not to work, then the static linking alternatives are looked at and finally
the bundling alternatives.

-Toshio