Audit overhead and default rules

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Mon Feb 10 19:05:38 UTC 2014

On a default Fedora installation, every system call incurs a fair
amount of overhead due to syscall auditing.  This happens despite the
fact that syscalls aren't actually audited, except as part of AVC
denials.

The overhead is something like 20-40ns per syscall, and the total time
to do a simple syscall with auditing completely disabled is about 70ns
on my laptop.  So this is actually a large effect.

What would people think about changing the default audit rules to add
something like '-t task,never'?  This would remove the overhead, but
it would come at the cost of removing the syscall records from
/var/log/audit/audit.log when an AVC denial occurs.

This could make debugging selinux errors a bit harder, but it would be
easy for users to re-enable full auditing.

I've been playing with fixing this in the kernel, but it's a mess.

--Andy