Non-%doc files in %{_defaultdocdir}?

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Tue Feb 11 16:57:00 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 03:16 AM, John Morris wrote:
> The Fedora Packaging Guidelines are clear that these files must not be
> marked as %doc [1].  However, neither source I found for documentation
> packaging [1,2] said clearly whether files not marked as %doc are
> allowed in %{_defaultdocdir}/%{name}-%{version} (and neither mentions
> that fc20 doc dirs seem to be unversioned).
>
> The Debian docs are quite clear that runtime must not depend on anything
> in /usr/share/doc [3].
>
> I think it's clear that these files belong in
> ${sysconfdir}/linuxcnc/examples, but I'd like to hear the community's
> opinion on whether this is a hole in the Guidelines, or am I again being
> ovenly pedantic.
>
> 	John
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Documentation
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging_tricks#Examples
> [3] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s12.3
This is a minor annoyance for other packages, too. Examples and other
runtime files are often packaged in  /usr/share/doc/*, which makes them
hard to find in the application file browser. This creates a poor user
experience during a common first interaction of a new software user,
which is often to  search for provided templates and examples:

    in the Open File browser go to /usr/share and find /usr/share/%{name}

    fail to find example files there

    return to /usr/share and hunt for /usr/share/doc which happens to be
always beyond the right edge of the initial page of files :).

Specifically there are 108 directories with files that seem to contain
runtime  'examples'-type files in /usr/share/doc directory ( ls -ld
/usr/share/doc/*/*examples* ). I would argue that these examples*
directories should move to /usr/share/%{name} directories.
Do you agree with that? if so, what is the right way to deal with
this---file 108 cases against individual packages or put the issue up
for FESCO discussion?

Conversely, there are some directories in /usr/share that look like doc
files:

/usr/share/gtk-doc belongs to
   gnome-desktop-devel-2.32.0-12.fc19.x86_64
   gnome-desktop3-devel-3.8.4-1.fc19.x86_64
   gtk-doc-1.19-1.fc19.noarch

/usr/share/javadoc belongs to jpackage-utils-1.7.5-27.fc19.noarch
   containing
     /usr/share/javadoc/java-1.7.0-openjdk-* belonging to
java-1.7.0-openjdk-javadoc-*

No big deal, but maybe these should move to the respective
/usr/share/doc directories