The F20 Network Bridge is Failing down!

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Tue Feb 11 20:11:57 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have two fully updated F20 boxes running VMs. The
bridging on one box was working but not on the
other... It appeared the only real difference was
the names. The working bridge was call 'br0'
and the non-working was called 'bridge0'

I also notice that 'br0' showed virt-manager's list of
viable network interfaces and 'bridge0' did not.
Obviously that was the problem.

So tried to rename bridge0 to br0 by changing the names
of the ifcfg files... no luck... the bridge would not come up.
Next I just remove 'bridge0' and create a new 'br0'. This
is where I hit the wall.

1) Network setup will no longer gives an option to create a bridge
   as it once did. The only option I get is VPN.

2) I am able to create a bridge with nm-connection-editor but
   Network setup still can't see it to bring it up

3) Using the nmcli command to bring the bridge up, I get
   the following error:

   # nmcli con up "br0 slave 1" still errors out with
   Error: Connection activation failed: No compatible disconnected device found for master connection 157112b2-aea3-4b03-b91e-186bcffbb3f4.

So I went from a functioning bridge not being recognized by virt-manager
to not being able bring a bridge up or have it recognized by Network Setup.

Any ideas what is going on here? Again, this is on a fully updated
F20 box...

tia!

steved.