advertisement in packaged software

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Wed Feb 12 09:52:27 UTC 2014

On 02/12/2014 10:46 AM, Kai Engert wrote:
> Do the Fedora guidelines allow packaging of software that will show
> advertisement to the user?

I think it's difficult define what precisely is an advertisement, but I
hope Fedora will be able to avoid this trap, particularly because
advertising is so much about tracking users these days.

> Are there any existing packages that already do that?

Install mozilla-noscript and run:

$ sandbox -t sandbox_web_t -X firefox

You will see visually obnoxious nag screen.  The Mozilla tab might
qualify as an ad as well.

There is also the Emacs startup screen, but I find it less invasive.