advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Feb 12 16:32:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 18:25:48 +0200,
   Nikos Roussos <comzeradd at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 2014-02-12 at 16:58 +0100, H. Guémar wrote:
>> My *personal* opinion is that we should disable this kind of feature
>> by default.
>
>On a side note, why not disable also Google as the default searchbox
>engine and replace it with a non-profit one?
>
>(I'm not stating my opinion here, just trying to figure which is our
>overall attitude against promoted default brands on software we deliver
>to users.)

I think the difference is that google search isn't used until you actually
do a search. So you can not use it fairly easily. Connecting to web pages
before you get a chance to disable that feature is a privacy problem unless
those web pages are local copies. I already have a problem with firefox
well documented.) I also have a problem with doing revocation lookups
to check for revoked certificates by default. And for that matter with
systems.