advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Feb 12 19:10:45 UTC 2014

On 02/12/2014 04:58 PM, H. Guémar wrote:
> My *personal* opinion is that we should disable this kind of feature by
> default.

My personal opinion is to ban and remove such features and not only to
disable it by fault. firefox's defaults also should be altered to point
to an "empty home page" shouldn't this already be the case.

> Actually, unless it tracks users, i don't think that our guidelines
> forbids it, though it may influence our choice for the packages set
> installed by default.
IIRC, "call-home" functions already are strongly frowned upon in
Fedora's FPG - Not worth mention the NSA scandal, which has caused at
in Europe has caused many users to consider call-home and tracking to be
euphemisms for espionage and breaches of privacy.

Ralf