Why libicu soname bump required harfbuzz package to be built twice?

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 04:19:51 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 7:56 PM, Parag N(पराग़) <panemade at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>    From the yesterday's pkgs git commit logs I see 3-4 people built few
> packages for libicu soname bump. I am not sure why a single person can't
> carry such a few package rebuilds for libicu soname bump.
>    Whoever (people names) want to rebuild packages should announce on devel
> list first. Looks like harfbuzz package is picked twice for these rebuilds.
> Both rebuilds happened in within 30 minutes time period.

Your guess is as good as mine. I asked on IRC in #fedora-devel after
my package failed to build on Rawhide and was told that there was a
soname bump for icu and was given an all clear to rebuild it. I then
nphilipp rebuild it after me for whatever reason. I have no idea why
they rebuilt again (maybe they had a reason).

Ideally the person who did the soname bump for icu would have rebuilt
harfbuzz with it (erack at redhat.com). This happens quite often and it's
quite annoying.

Dan