advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Feb 13 16:39:54 UTC 2014

Le Jeu 13 février 2014 15:47, Nikos Roussos a écrit :
> On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 15:28 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le Mer 12 février 2014 17:20, Nikos Roussos a écrit :
>>
>> > The "New Tab" feature will provide quick access to popular sites in
>> the
>> > users location, without any collection of personal data (except of
>> > course from checking the location of his IP). At lease this is the
>> > current design by Mozilla.
>>
>> And that opens the door to tracking hell.
>
> How is that? I don't the feature either but it has nothing to do with
> tracking.

As soon as you start doing ad selection based on any processing of the
user context (location, past history, whatever) you are in data mining,
privacy invasion and tracker land. Especially if part or all of the
processing is moved to the cloud (such a nice name for we-own-your-data
reality).

Of course ad people don't want to hear this because their effectiveness
depends on such processing. And it's always one more "harmless" processing
rule at at time, never one less.

--
Nicolas Mailhot