advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Feb 13 19:03:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 13:21 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > A party who is molesting me with ads and tries to spy on me, hardly
> > is my friend.
>
> Those are strong words, and based mostly on here-say.  Even the Fedora
> installer "molests you with ads" for various non-default packages.

Those aren't advertisements; the developers of the software in question
have not paid anything to have them placed there (no-one has paid anyone
anything to have them placed there, well, other than Red Hat paying the
anaconda developers who wrote the code that displays them). They were
drawn by the Fedora artwork / design teams, AIUI, based on nothing more
ominous than their perception of what information people installing
Fedora might find useful. Mostly they exist because the installation
screen is very boring without them.

The fact that they're images in the shape of a long short rectangle does
not make them "advertisements". :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey