advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Feb 14 01:09:29 UTC 2014

Kai Engert wrote:
> Are we allowed to ship software in Fedora that dynamically loads
> advertisements from the web and shows them to users?

Not sure, but it's really not a nice thing for software to do.

> Is the Fedora community willing to accept Mozilla's desire to show
> advertisements in Firefox?

This is a particular case because Firefox is our default browser on almost
all our spins (only the KDE spin defaults to Konqueror+KWebKitPart). Given
that, IMHO, it is completely unacceptable for Firefox to show ads (that
aren't part of the websites the user asked to visit, obviously).

Our default-installed software definitely shouldn't be carrying ads. The
other stuff, I'd prefer if it didn't either.

        Kevin Kofler