Why libicu soname bump required harfbuzz package to be built twice?

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 03:57:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 09:26 +0530, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    From the yesterday's pkgs git commit logs I see 3-4 people built
> > few packages for libicu soname bump. I am not sure why a single person
> > can't carry such a few package rebuilds for libicu soname bump.
> >
> >    Whoever (people names) want to rebuild packages should announce on
> > devel list first. Looks like harfbuzz package is picked twice for
> > these rebuilds. Both rebuilds happened in within 30 minutes time
> > period.
>
> It doesn't really cause any terrible pain for a double rebuild to
> happen. devel@ being flooded with "I'm about to rebuild X!" would
> certainly cause a lot more inconvenience.

 Right there is no harm. One can only bump the release and carry a rebuild
without any change in spec. What I thought is that generally people whose
packages gets soname bump used to carry package rebuilds for its dependent
packages also. Same has already happened with libicu soname bump in the
past. This time it was not clear if libicu maintainer is going for these
package rebuilds or not.
  Anyway I assume libicu maintainer want to only push libicu update and let
the dependent package owners to rebuild their packages. I have just rebuilt
fontmatrix now.

Thanks,
Parag.