advertisement in packaged software (e.g. Firefox)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Feb 14 06:08:06 UTC 2014

On 02/13/2014 07:50 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Jeu 13 février 2014 19:40, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
>> Hi
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>
>>> A party who is molesting me with ads and tries to spy on me, hardly is
>>> my
>>> friend.
>>

>> That certainly goes way too far.  We have assurance from Mozilla that
>> there
>> is no spying or tracking going on here
>
> How can they give any assurance? Unless the targets of those ads are
> hosted by mozilla, all it takes to track people is for one of the
> advertisers to read its server logs.
Exactly.

Beside this, IMO, the FLOSS community needs to set a
non-misunderstandable sign that Ads are not welcome.

Technically, Mozilla could easily support this by adding a
configure-time option to disable building-in their in-app-ads.

It's up to them to do so, something I'd consider as an indication of
them to play fair - If they do, I'll shut up. If not ..., well time for
fedora to switch to a firefox fork and leave Mozilla alone.

Ralf