rpm bug 1065563 affecting httpd / php packages

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 10:56:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:37:53PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> I don't think this calls for a mass rebuild or any kind of a rebuild
> actually, nor should it be rawhide only. AFAIU this doesn't affect
> runtime at all, only build time, and affected packages can be just
> fixed at the same time if they need an update in affected releases in
> the first place.

The new rpmbuild cannot build an httpd which will satisfy dependencies
of current Fedora packages.  The new rpmbuild will force us to break the
existing ABI dependency for httpd, breaking compatibility with existing
and third-party packages.  And all that breakage is for zero gain, with
a bunch of engineering time wasted.

This change is inappropriate for a F19/20 update IMO.  Yes, we know the
deps are "wrong", but that was not hurting any Fedora users, and we've
fixed it properly for F21.

Regards, Joe