additional repository with {experimental,incubating} content

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 13:58:50 UTC 2014

On 02/12/2014 04:58 PM, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> Yesterday we spoke at Env and Stacks WG about Fedora additional
> repository. I was wondering what might other products need to put there.
> Will be the content experimental? Would it be the content just
> developing (not good for main Fedora repository) or simply not good to
> became Fedora package, because it contains bundles?
> I would love to hear your use-cases, so Env WG could create policy and
> workflow for such repo.
>
> Currently, it looks like it could contain also packages, which will be
> good for main repo in the future. The repository should have only
> minimal rules, not standard review, no conflicts among packages, ... You
> can follow whole discussion here [1], but no conclusion yet, just ideas.
>
> Another question is if for example Ruby collection needed by OpenShift
> (Cloud WG) will be needed in main repo or it could be installed from
> additional repository.
>
> [1]
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/env-and-stacks/2014-February/000173.html
>

> Thanks for your input,
> Marcela

Sorry for the late reply, darn DevConf plague struck me last week quite
badly.

I would have one concrete example that probably would apply for a host
of other packages:

Right now Daniel Vratil is using COPRS to package and provide the latest
early version of KDE5 resp. KF5 as it's called now.

As those packages are actually destined to be be part of Fedora proper
over the next months i think an incubator repository would be an
excellent idea for early development next release version of software.
Lower hurdle to get packages in, don't need to yet follow the FPC fully
but which at some point are expected to move to Fedora and where a
better visibility then COPRS repositories provides would be great. And
this could work i think for many other projects too, where early access
test packages could be provided for the Brave and the Free. :)

Not sure if that would apply to your idea of the experimental/incubator
repository, but i'd love to see something like that to be honest.

Basically a middle ground between Fedora proper and COPRS.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Manager Core Services        | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111