Renaming the cloud-utils package

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:18:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to rename the cloud-utils
(sub-)package for EPEL7 and F21.

Upstream (Ubuntu) used to have a single package named cloud-utils which we
decided to split up into two packages, cloud-utils and
cloud-utils-growpart. The reason being that cloud-utils pulls in a lot of
additional packages which is sub-optimal for cloud images.

Now Ubuntu followed suit and provides cloud-guest-utils and
cloud-image-utils sub-packages. My question is if we should align with
Ubuntu and rename our packages or stick with what we have?

I admit I'm ignorant to all the ramifications of renaming a package but
from a user's perspective it's definitely a benefit if package names match
across distros.

Thanks
...Juerg