Fwd: [Rpm-maint] Heads up: Weak and rich dependencies in RPM

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Feb 20 14:44:23 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Florian Festi <ffesti at redhat.com>
wrote:

> We are currently working on adding weak and rich dependencies to
> upstream RPM. There are basically two parts:

Is someone signed up to do the necessary frontend work for this on the
dnf/yum side?  If we're allowing choice of "A | B" like this, there
needs to be a frontend that actually allows choosing, like aptitude.

I guess one could go with the "shortest package name wins" approach or
whatever the current heuristic is for now...

This is also relevant with things like kickstart files, where there is
no interactivity allowed.

(For what it's worth I think making packaging even more complex and
less predictable in order to increase flexibility is precisely the
opposite direction of what we should be doing...but that's OK because I
am coming at this from the other direction.  We'll meet in the middle
somehow ;) )