Query about package versioning

Vivek Goyal vgoyal at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 16:16:54 UTC 2014

Hi All,

We are trying to sort out how to do kexec-tools package version, release
number management in fedora across various branches, hence this query.

I quickly went through following.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Package_Naming_and_Versioning_Guidelines

So far we do following.

- In master branch keep on doing development and keep on bumping release
  at regular intervals.

  kexec-tools-2.0.4-1.fc21
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-2.fc21
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-3.fc21
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-23.fc21

Lets say now FC21 forks off and a new branch is created. We keep on
bumping release number in FC21 branch also.

  kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-25.fc21
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-30.fc21

And master will continue.
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc22
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-25.fc22
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-30.fc22

Are we doing the right thing here.

I have few problems with above model.

- By bumping release version, we kind of lose the information what was
  our base at the time of fork of branch.

- Release numbers of released branch can get ahead of master branch
  depending on how many releases were done on master and how many releases
  were done on released branches.

So instead of increasing release number on released branches, why don't
we append additional number after dist and bump that up in released
branch. So FC21 releases will look like.

  kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21.1
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21.2
  kexec-tools-2.0.4-23.fc21.10

That way we clearly know that FC21 was forked off master release .24. And
upgradability of package will be maintained without any change of older
release versions getting ahead of newer release versions.

Thanks
Vivek