Query about package versioning

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 16:39:00 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 05:16 PM, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> So instead of increasing release number on released branches, why don't
> we append additional number after dist and bump that up in released
> branch. So FC21 releases will look like.
>
>   kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21.1
>   kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21.2
>   kexec-tools-2.0.4-23.fc21.10
>
> That way we clearly know that FC21 was forked off master release .24. And
> upgradability of package will be maintained without any change of older
> release versions getting ahead of newer release versions.

IMO it's best to do fast-forward merges between branches when possible.
 In particular merging mass rebuild commits is OK.

In case FF merge is impossible I agree with the procedure you described.
 You need to increase release tag in a way that assures upgrade path and
one way to do that is adding .1 after dist tag.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
IRC: mizdebsk