Query about package versioning

Mikolaj Izdebski mizdebsk at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 16:39:17 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 05:28 PM, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> W dniu 20.02.2014 17:16, Vivek Goyal pisze:
>
>> So instead of increasing release number on released branches, why don't
>> we append additional number after dist and bump that up in released
>> branch. So FC21 releases will look like.
>>
>>   kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21.1
>>   kexec-tools-2.0.4-24.fc21.2
>>   kexec-tools-2.0.4-23.fc21.10
>>
>> That way we clearly know that FC21 was forked off master release .24. And
>> upgradability of package will be maintained without any change of older
>> release versions getting ahead of newer release versions.
>
> %dist should be at the end.
>
> So rather kexec-tools-2.0.4-23.X.fc21 where X means x-th revision of
> fc21 package after distribution release.

That won't work if both branches already have the same release number
and you need to bump release in older branch.  That can happen for
example if you were fast-forwarding commits from f21 to f20 and at some
point you need to add a bugfix only for f20.  Adding .1 after dist-tag
will work in this case.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski
IRC: mizdebsk