[Fedora-packaging] May I file 1000 bugs aka upstream test suite tracking

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Feb 21 14:55:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 04:22:42PM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> (note: devel, packaging and test lists) previously I've done a
> little experiment and counted how many packages are likely to have
> upstream test suites and how many don't:
> http://atodorov.org/blog/2013/12/24/upstream-test-suite-status-of-fedora-20/
>
> In general around 35% do have test suites, the rest don't.
>
> My goal is to bring down the number of packages which ship without
> any sort of test suite inside their code base.
>
> The first step is to identify them and track them in Bugzilla.
>

> My question is:
> **Is everyone, especially package maintainers OK with me filing 1000+ bugs ?**
>

> Last time I did so (around 100 bugs) it got a few people unhappy so
> better ask this time!

If you have code that can fairly reliably detect whether a test suite
exists in the source tar.gz, then I think you would be justified
in filing bugs for spec files which have not enabled the test suite.

What I wouldn't do is blindly mass file bugs against every package
and ask the maintainer to investigate whether the test suite exists
or not. Basically you want to minimize the risk of false bug reports
against tests not being enabled, to avoid wasting maintainers time.

Regards,
Daniel