[Base] Fedora Base Design Working Group (2014-02-21) meeting minutes and logs

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Fri Feb 21 21:38:10 UTC 2014

> From: awilliam at redhat.com
> Date: 02/21/2014 15:20
> Historically, QA and anaconda more or less agreed on an approach whereby
> the 'guided' partitioning path would be expected to work extremely
> reliably: QA would undertake to test every (well, nearly every) route
> through that path regularly and proactively, and anaconda would
> undertake to fix the bugs. Custom partitioning was much more of a
> 'bonus' thing: if it worked, great. QA would test it as much as we had
> time for, and anaconda would fix as many bugs as they could after fixing
> higher priority stuff. I went back and looked at the history, and in the
> earlier days of Fedora, the guided path was consciously designed to be
> very 'choice free'.

That makes a lot of sense, but I'd like to add that when doing custom
partitioning, you can easily spend the bulk of your actual interaction
time getting the partitioning customized exactly the way you want and when
anaconda crashes, it's not much fun to loose that effort.  I've had this
happen lots and still do.  Unfortunately, I can never see the pattern to
file a BZ for it.  One thing I've generally learned *not to do* is click
on something for exploration purposes only.  I'm trying to think of a good
example, but maybe I want to see what the btrfs layout looks like.  Okay,
but lets go back and take the default now.  Poof!

> With the best of intentions, we'd gone from a reluctant exception to the
> 'no choice' design to a dropdown which included two very different
> complex choices: LVM and btrfs. So now the installer path which was
> originally supposed to be minimal-choice, very robust and testable and
> fixable, had become rather a lot more complex.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.  I
appreciate your QA angle here.  Every condition in a code path leads to
exponential growth in testing.  However, when I have my admin hat on, I
want flexibility.  I love LVM for that reason.  However, if I'm setting up
simple VMs whose backend storage resides in a LV, I have no need or desire
for LVM within the VM.  It only makes more work if I have to do an in
place resize later on.  Having LVM on those host makes that resizing oh so
much simpler though, especially if additional drives are required.

I feel much the same about the /home partitioning and wish there was an
checkbox in anaconda for that.  Having a separate /home partition is good
practice, but I never use the feature because mine is on NFS, so it makes
for lots of click work to get the auto layout, then remove the home.  (I
did learn accidentally with btrfs I can just ignore it and I've not lost
any space on /.)

So yes, simplicity is good, unless it makes everything else harder later.

--
John Florian