exclude people from giving karma?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 24 04:16:23 UTC 2014

Adam Williamson wrote:
> I really don't know why you make these suggestions. I mean, you must
> know no-one is going to reply "Why, Kevin! What a brilliant idea! We'll
> do so immediately!", so what's the point?

Why not? That's the only reply that possibly makes sense.

It is very obvious that autokarma is NOT working. It is causing way more
breakage than direct stable pushes (or manual pushes with "too little"
karma) ever caused. If direct stable pushes (or manual pushes with "too
little" karma) were so bad a problem, then how can autokarma possibly NOT be
as bad a problem? This is totally illogical. It's as if airline security
banned Swiss knifes, but let you board with a machine gun no questions
asked.

Autokarma has been a bad idea since day one. Add to that that autokarma
abuse has actually INCREASED with the mandatory karma rules (making them
counterproductive). But the autokarma problem has always existed, because
the idea is just fundamentally flawed.

The whole concept that an update is stable because an arbitrary number of
testers gave it a +1 makes no sense whatsoever. Automatically pushing an
update with no validation whatsoever is just suicidal.

Dropping autokarma is long overdue. This is yet another incident that proves
my point!

Told you so,
        Kevin Kofler