Renaming the cloud-utils package

Juerg Haefliger juergh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 08:52:22 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 06:18:30PM +0100, Juerg Haefliger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to rename the cloud-utils
> > (sub-)package for EPEL7 and F21.
> >
> > Upstream (Ubuntu) used to have a single package named cloud-utils which
we
> > decided to split up into two packages, cloud-utils and
> > cloud-utils-growpart. The reason being that cloud-utils pulls in a lot
of
> > additional packages which is sub-optimal for cloud images.
> >
> > Now Ubuntu followed suit and provides cloud-guest-utils and
> > cloud-image-utils sub-packages. My question is if we should align with
> > Ubuntu and rename our packages or stick with what we have?
> >
> > I admit I'm ignorant to all the ramifications of renaming a package but
> > from a user's perspective it's definitely a benefit if package names
match
> > across distros.
>
> It makes sense to follow upstream here. The process is documented
> here[1]. I'd inform the cloud WG, because they might be interested ;-)

My case is slightly different: What I have today is the cloud-utils repo,
which produces two packages: cloud-utils and cloud-utils-growpart (which
contains only the growpart script plus man page). What I want is to keep
the cloud-utils repo but create a metadata package cloud-utils plus two
sub-packages cloud-image-utils and cloud-guest-utils. cloud-guest-utils
will contain the growpart stuff plus another small script to match
upstream. cloud-image-utils will replace the former cloud-utils package and
the new cloud-utils package will simply require cloud-image-utils and
cloud-guest utils. Am I making sense? :-)

I can understand going through a new package review process but I wouldn't
need a new git repo, or would I?

...Juerg