python-django update to Django-1.6

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 24 23:13:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-21 10:55, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 01:28:54PM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> > I hear you! My current plan would be, to provide at least a
>> > python-django-1.5 version.
>>

>> My suggestion would actually be that Fedora releases should ship ONLY
>> with the latest supported upstream version and should be allowed to
>> pick up the next one during its supported lifecycle.
>
> Hmm, looking at larger Django applications included in Fedora.
>
> Askbot: still requires exclusively Django-1.4, does not work with later
> versions.

I wouldn't block too hard on askbot in Fedora. We (me, nirik, and some
other people I've forgotten) were looking at it recently - in the
context of unbundling tinymce, or something - and it's basically DOA so
far as Fedora goes. We strongly suspect the package hasn't worked on
Fedora for years (or, possibly, ever). The current F20 and Rawhide
packages at least certainly can't possibly really work (unless someone's
fixed an awful lot of stuff in the last three weeks or so).

The package exists to back ask.fedoraproject.org , basically (that, of
course, runs on EL6). I doubt there's any other live askbot deployment
using the Fedora/EPEL packages.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey