Packages with missing %check

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi.boukelmoune at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 17:32:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 12:45 +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
>
>> 1) Do we consider this a bug and if yes what priority do you give it? From last
>> week discussions it looks like most people prefer to have tests executed in %check.
>
> I don't consider %check to be an appropriate way to run tests, so no, I
> don't consider it a bug.  Stating it broadly: we don't have a separate
> phase for it in koji, which means we can't adequately set up tests in
> general; and adding it to koji would be a mistake, because build
> construction and build validation are fundamentally different phases.

I'd rather not discard %check when (blind guess) most of the test
suites fit well there. Unless you're testing the package from the
outside (let's say integration tests), you don't need another hook for
the tests. Even for integration tests %check might still be relevant
if you manage to keep them self-contained.

I'm not saying I'm against a hook for non %check-able test suites :)

Dridi