Service units for web applications

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Feb 25 21:41:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25.02.14 15:49, Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh at redhat.com) wrote:

> In the specific case I'm looking at, I'm not (necessarily) talking
> about separate httpd instances. Rather, I'm talking about either
> different virtual hosts or different paths on the same virtual host.
>
> For example, I might have
>
> http://reviews.myserver.com/systemd-reviews/
> http://reviews.myserver.com/networkmanager-reviews/
> http://otherreviews.myserver.com/
>
> All of these would be operating under a single HTTPD instance on port
> 80, just with configuration enabling them to run different instances
> of the same application in different paths and on different virtual hosts.
>
> In the case of apache, it really amounts to something very similar to
> what you explained about the service snippets above. You just drop a
> file like the one copied below into the /etc/httpd/conf.d/ directory
> and it gets merged together when apache starts. From my perspective as
> a user, these really are individual services, they just happen to be
> running inside the same process. So I would ideally want to be able to
> enable and disable them the way I would the httpd service itself.

But a vhost is not a systemd concept, it's entirely foreign to it. It
does not track it, maintain it, introspect it, know it. We really
shouldn't turn systemd into something that can manage things that are
inherently private property of other packages.

Mabye httpd.rpm wants to include a tool that has a similar "feel" like
systemctl, maybe "httpdctl" or so, that covers this, but I am pretty
strongly of the opinion that that has no place in systemd.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat