Packages with missing %check

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 22:38:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 03:45:51PM +0100, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 08:50:18AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 12:45 +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Do we consider this a bug and if yes what priority do you give it? From last
> > > week discussions it looks like most people prefer to have tests executed in %check.
> >
> > I don't consider %check to be an appropriate way to run tests, so no, I
> > don't consider it a bug.  Stating it broadly: we don't have a separate
> > phase for it in koji, which means we can't adequately set up tests in
> > general; and adding it to koji would be a mistake, because build
> > construction and build validation are fundamentally different phases.
> >
> > This is an argument against %check, not against testing in general.  We
> > should be relying on rpmbuild less, not more.  rpm doesn't even have
> > anything like Requires(check), does it?
>
> Hmm, then we should probably about enhancing this? Like adding a
> separate phase of for %check to rpmnbuild?

There is a proposal to allow better testing of packages, and groups of
packages.  Actually at least two proposals but the one I'm thinking of
now is:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Taskotron

Previous discussion:

  https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-December/193267.html
& https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-January/thread.html#193521

> IMHO, that still belongs to building a package, as I don't want
> a package pushed, when checks are not executed successfully.

Some testing can be done in %check, and some testing needs to be done
outside %check because either it involves multiple packages, or
because it's too heavyweight for %check, or because it involves some
extra permissions (eg. root, a VM, etc).

Rich.