Packages with missing %check

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Feb 26 12:41:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:01 AM, Stanislav Ochotnicky
<sochotnicky at redhat.com> wrote:

> Because unit tests are designed to be run as part of the build
> process. It's not impossible to run them *after* the build, but good
> luck making it work reliably across all packages without manual work.

The https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/InstalledTests
initative, as implemented by gnome-continuous, takes these "unit tests"
as you call them and runs them as what you call integration tests.
(Personally, I think distinguishing them is a broken idea.  No one runs
just one bit of software, they run a tree - a complete system)

For example, after glib changes, I rerun the *gtk* tests.  After gtk
changes, I rerun *application* tests.

This simple change of taking existing valuable tests that were run at
once most per build and turning them into something run 50 or more
times a day made them much more valuable.  It also revealed many of
them were full of race conditions...