Packages with missing %check

David Howells dhowells at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 13:56:22 UTC 2014

Alexander Todorov <atodorov at redhat.com> wrote:

> How about making %check a packaging requirement in all cases - run tests or
> add a comment explaining why not, how to run them (e.g. make test) or why
> there are no tests for this package.

Does %check install the package and run the tests as root?  For the keyutils
package that I maintain, this would be a requirement to be able to run the
testsuite because:

 (1) There are certain operations that cannot be tested if you're not root.

 (2) The kernel must be able to upcall to executables installed by the rpm.

I imagine this applies to some other packages also.

David