default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 15:18:12 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>

> Yeah, agreed here. Everyone wants the latest shiniest thing, even if that
> thing isn't ready. I really don't want to wade through tons of bug reports
> for btrfs just because it has a lot of hype.
>
> Also, right now cloud is plain old ext4. Let's see if we can ship *all* of
> the filesystems! It'll be fun!

Yep, a lot of fun - three different file systems for free different products.
And we are back to the question how much these products could differ - with
limited resources we have right now - at least short term. Who can answer it
- filesystem/kernel guys, if they are able and willing to support all
potential filesystem, as David stated, it's possible in Anaconda but again
the same question if the team would be able to maintain more filesystems
support with high bar in terms of quality (even for example brtfs limited
to bare minimum), QA... And it could be pretty confusing for users but that's
up to us/marketing to explain that products aim specific goal and it's for
good (if we would be able to support it - then it's for good, if not...).

Adding devel list to CC - I expect another topic Base should be involved
too.

And no, no elections for file system. It's really up to WGs and coordination
with the rest teams.

Jaroslav