default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 19:54:11 UTC 2014

> The elephant in the room here seems to be LVM backing, I don't see
> anyone discussing that. Do desktop and server want to keep LVM backing
> by default if they don't go with btrfs? Do desktop and server have
> *differing* perspectives there? (Do we want to re-run the Fedora 18 tape
> where we switch to no LVM backing by default and then have to go back to
> LVM by default for some reason I've forgotten?)

I can only speak from personal experience here, but I always use LVM on
servers and that has served me extremely well. I also always use XFS for
servers on which I store data.

LVM has been fundamental many times to be able to add more disks to my
server w/o long downtime, and even replacing disks with bigger ones
again w/o (or reduced) downtime.

I think this is a pretty important feature for a Server OS.

Copying TBs of data can take quite some time, and being forced to do
that while keeping the server offline because there is no LVM layer to
automatically move all the blocks really sucks.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York