Packages with missing %check

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 21:53:09 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 04:58:43PM +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:

> > During making glib changes you should run glib unit tests to have some
> > basic level of assurance you didn't introduce regressions or unwanted
> > changes.
> >
> > The *very first* test I run is "does the OS still boot"?  That's called
> > "smoketest" for me, and it only takes a few minutes.
> >

> That seems to be optimizing for bugs that break the boot, when bugs that
> occur in less-frequently used parts of the system are far more common; a
> lot of software is not used, or not critical, in the boot path.

But bugs which break the boot prevent you from testing everything else.

Libguestfs currently is the de-facto test of bugs that break the boot,
and TBH it's not a job I enjoy having.  It happens too often in
Rawhide, and a simple test (in %check or elsewhere) could fix it.  I
even wrote a simple tool to perform the test:

http://people.redhat.com/~rjones/qemu-sanity-check/

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW