exclude people from giving karma?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 27 01:18:18 UTC 2014

Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> I fully agree with you testers giving +1 is not even close to proper
> validation, but what alternative to get proper validation do you propose
> as an improvement?  Dropping autokarma would replace broken validation
> with *no* validation; that's not an improvement.

The proposal here is only to abolish AUTOkarma, i.e. to require the
maintainer to manually push the update even if it has enough karma. In other
words, remove the "[ ] Enable karma automatism" checkbox and the 2
thresholds that go with it from Bodhi. (Just ensure that non-critpath
updates can always be manually pushed once they get a karma of +1, because
last I checked, this was STILL broken in Bodhi and required changing the
stable threshold to 1 to be able to push the update.)

This is not about the policies to not allow the maintainer to push without
karma, though I happen to think those should also be abolished. (If you ask
why: Because I think the maintainer is better placed to judge the quality of
his/her update than an arbitrary number of people with nothing more than a
FAS account. Feedback from the testers should only be informative.)

But again, I think that even with no other policy change, just removing the
"karma automatism" misfeature from Bodhi would be an improvement.

        Kevin Kofler