libicu soname bump in rawhide

Eike Rathke erack at redhat.com
Thu Feb 27 12:02:27 UTC 2014

Hi Jakub,

On Friday, 2014-02-14 13:40:26 +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> upstream to consider providing stable API/ABI, symbol versioning etc.?
> I mean, if a shared library has 1-2 users, we can still live with it being
> in constant flux, but for a widely used shared library stable public ABI is
> really important.

Part of the problem is ICU has C++ ABI, changes in classes' vtables have
to force recompilation of depending packages, unless virtual methods are
only appended and never inserted.

The dependency on supported Unicode version data was already mentioned
by Caolan.

  Eike

GPG key ID: 0x65632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Support the FSFE, care about Free Software! https://fsfe.org/support/?erack